Our History

Zion Ev is an established church family in northwest Ohio, having been in the Gibsonburg area for over 150 years! 

In 1864 a group of German Lutherans came to the Gibsonburg area because of the oil boom.
There were 14 families with 40 confirmed members. 

In 1876 the congregation built the first church, called the Basswood Church, on North Main Street.
The congregation grew to 175 families and a larger church was needed so the wood frame building was sold and moved to another location. 

In 1892 a larger, ornate building was built on the empty lot on North Main Street

Zion's dream of a new building became a reality at 500 S. Brentwood Drive in Gibsonburg.
The church was dedicated on June 28, 1959. This building is still Zion's place of worship.